1. Volvo invented the three-point seatbelt, but opened up the patent to save as many lives as possible.
2. The Netherlands sends Canada thousands of flowers every year as thanks for help in WWII.
3. Libraries outnumber McDonald’s in the United States by over 8:1.
4. There are more trees on Earth than there are stars in the galaxy.
5. The British Military has a goat serving as a fusilier.
It is said that the use of goats as members of the military started after a wild one wandered about the battlefield during the American Revolutionary War in 1775, seemingly leading the Welsh regimental colours to victory at the Siege of Boston.
1. I find this fascinating. Who knew there was so much uninhabited land in the UK.
2. 1M Hauly | $220
It doesn’t matter what the money is for—under-the-table hush-money, black market arms deals, or Bugatti purchase—the 1M Hauly is designed to carry exactly $1,000,000 worth of $100 U.S. bank notes while remaining inconspicuous at checkpoints and border crossings. Of course, the near-weightless 20L bag can also be used for normal things like clothes and tools if you haven’t yet run into a nefarious international transaction that needs completed. Made from a stronger-than-kevlar and waterproof Dyneema composite fabric, the 1M Hauly naturally reaches a discreet matte-and-crumpled finish after a few uses. Reliable YKK Uretek zippers form the bag’s closure and provide high humidity protection for the cash, while sturdy haul loops at each end fit a large gloved hand but are sized to work with straps, carabiners, or other attachments.
Length: 18″ / Width: 12″ / Height: 5.75″ / Weight: 0.28 lb (126 g)
That poison dart frogs don’t make their own poison. They get it from eating alkaloid rich mites, ants and termites. Other species however, that exhibit cryptic coloration have low to no amounts of toxicity, eat a much larger variety of prey.
4. 1932 the army in australia went to war against Emu’s as they were destroying the farmland. Apparently the army lost. Australia, employed soldiers armed with Lewis guns—leading the media to adopt the name “Emu War” when referring to the incident. While a number of the birds were killed, the emu population persisted and continued to cause crop destruction.
- 91 people a day die of overdose from drugs like Oxycodone in USA . Source Dr Oz
2. There are fences around London that are made from WWII medical stretchers. During the war Great Britain tore down fences and used the metal for the war effort then recycled the stretchers back into fences when the war ended. These fences still have the curved hand holders.
3. Stats on feet –
- 52 is the total number of bones in your two feet. That accounts for 25% of all the bones in your body.
- 40 is the age at which you may need to start shopping for larger shoes. Muscles, tendons and ligaments in the fee weaken with age causing your bones and the rest of your feet to spread out .
- 250,000 is the number of glands in your feet. (FYI they can secrete up to half a pint of sweat daily)
4. Your Smile – Research shows
- A big grin makes your face more memorable than a neutral expression does.
- Feedback sent to the brain by uplifted facial muscles and that includes a fake smile can ease anxiety.
- From a psychological perspective, a person who is smiling appears more trustworthy than a person who is either frowning or holding a neutral expression.
- According to Shawn Achor, the author of The Happiness Advantage, by making smiling a part of our everyday practice, we help our brains create happiness loops that encourage more positive-thinking patterns.
- according to biochemist and artist Sondra Barrett. In her book, Secrets of Your Cells, Barrett explains how cells can distinguish between safety and danger, find and repair problems and create an overall sense of balance within the body.
5. Plants know then they are being eaten. There are certain plants like nasturtiums that emit toxins as a defense mechanism in response to the sounds of a caterpillars chewing – even when the sound is played as a recording . Who knows this discovery may someday help reduce the use of man-made pesticides.
1. That Canada is the country which invented the ‘Walkie Talkies’ the snow mobile, trivial pursuit and the egg carton. Thats enough to make my husband feel proud (Canadian).
2. Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta is known by the stage name of ‘Lady Gaga’
3. If you have ever watched NZ play football you will be aware of the ‘Haka’ they perform before every game.It is a traditional ancestral war cry, dance, or challenge from the Māori people of New Zealand. “Ka mate Ka mate, Ka ora, Ka ora”,the words of prominence, roughly translate to ‘I die, I die, I live, I Live.
4. A gerund is a noun made from a verb. It always ends with the three letters ‘ing’
5. The South Pacific nation of ‘Tuvalu’ has recently released ‘Star Trek’ coins as legal tender.
This video is an example of why we should hold these men in great esteem and give veterans the best care that our Country can provide .
They lost their friends and mates and suffered a life time of traumatic memories, all in the name of their Country.
WW2 Kamikaze Attack on USS Laffey
The most fierce kamikaze attack in naval history,but the men of the Greatest Generation kept their ship afloat.
Watch how low some of these attacks were.Very hard to hit incoming aircraft at this profile.
Amazing film footage… NOT scripted; actual sights…
Well what happened to this year
Went so fast, another year older I fear
2013 has seen so many countries at War, deaths and not much peace
We can pray for the young ones but history shows they never cease
But on a happier note Britain has a new prince
We saw a country and many people joyous like we have not seen since
2014 we should all make it a year where we consider getting fit
At least begin, start out slow, start out doing just a little bit
Make it a year where we become more aware
All the things that surround us, stop, look around, with a concentrated stare
Listen to those who have something important for them, to say
Because your consideration and care could save a life that day
Observe that they maybe suffering some sort of disturbed sadness
They may be different and considered by some suffering from madness
This is a wonderful time to celebrate and be with friends and relations
To enjoy each other, Bring in the New Year together with all nations
For me I wish you all plenty of cheer and goodwill
Enjoy each moment because you and I know time will not stand still
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year
Hate is a word that I do not use lightly.
I hate War. The pain that it inflicts on Mothers, Fathers, Wives, Girlfriends and Children is a lifetime scar on their hearts.
My heart goes out to this young woman, I cannot even imagine the ache she must feel, the tears she has shed and will shed for some time to come.
May her Angel be at her side in all that she does.
The night before the burial of her husband 2nd Lt. James Cathey of the United States Marine Corps, killed in Iraq, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of him, and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. “I think it would be kind of nice if you kept doing it” she said. “I think that’s what he would have wanted.”
This picture makes me feel pain and sadness and my question is “What right do we humans think we have to inflict such injury to our children”. Our children, being all children of this earth. We are responsible for all children they need nurturing and learning love, laughter, trust and no prejudices, not pain from the wars we are creating.
An injured Israeli baby is held by a security officer inside an ambulance at the scene where a rocket, fired from Gaza, landed in Kiryat Malachi.
1.You can figure out which way is south if you are near a tree stump. the growth rings are wider on the south side. Growth is more lush on the side of the tree facing the south in the Northern Hemisphere and vice versa in the Southern Hemisphere. Growth is more vigorous on the side toward the equator and the tree growth rings will be more widely spaced.
2. The shortest war on record was fought between Zanzibar (now part of Tanzania) and England in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.
3. A Cockroach can live for 4 weeks with no head (Interesting but Gross). Their necks would seal off just by clotting. The hardy vermin breathes through spiracles, or little holes in each body segment.
4. A bee sting is acidic and a wasp sting is alkali. To treat a sting by one of these you should use the opposite type of chemical. Suggested for bee’s deodorant or calamine lotion. Bicarbonate of soda for wasps.
5. Each time lightning strikes, some Ozone gas is produced, thus strengthening the Ozone Layer in the Earth’s atmosphere. The lightning bolt is 3 times hotter than the sun.
6. A mule is a cross between a male donkey and a female horse. A Hinny is a cross between a male horse and a female donkey. A Zonkey or Zeedonk is a zebra/donkey cross.