This is an article from the website of Dr Mercola which I thought was very interesting. Organic Apples are the winner here, not so much a conventionally grown apple that has fungicide and insecticide sprayed on them.
Not a fan of yogurt? This is a way to get your probiotic necessary for that healthy digestive system
- Apples’ antioxidant power is contained in the peel. However, recent research shows the core of the apple contains plenty of beneficial bacteria (probiotics)
- A typical apple contains about 100 million bacteria. ORGANIC APPLES have far greater diversity compared to conventional apples, and contain higher amounts of bacteria that enhance flavor
- Organic apples were the only ones found to contain Lactobacilli, bacteria that break down sugars associated with healthy digestion, robust immune function and even mental health
- Conventional apples (non organic) were found to contain Escherichia coli and Shigella — two Enterobacteriaceae species associated with foodborne illness, as both produce potent shigatoxin. Neither of these species was found in organic apples
- Bacterial colonization of fruit begins at pollination, and the ultimate composition of a fruit’s microbiota is actually influenced by the microbial community found in the pollen
This article is well worth reading.
“If you don’t do different nothing will change”