Team of UK researchers have found a specific protein in the tissue of women in the early stages of ovarian cancer. It appears they have a 90% success rate in the detection.
2. Researchers at the University of Manchester have found a receptor called OR2AT4 which is known to stimulated by sandalore – synthetic sandalwood – and which can be found in the outer layer of hair follicles. They found that applying their synthetic sandalwood to the scalp tissue they could increase the hair growth and decrease cell death.
3. Some Converse sneakers have a thin layer of felt on the sole. The reason being shoes with a fuzzy sole can technically qualify as slippers which have import taxes up to 30% lower than regular shoes. Source
4. A study has shown that duct tape is more effective than liquid nitrogen at removing warts. source
1. That the phrase ‘to pull your own weight’ originated with the sport of rowing.
2. That the English city of Manchester was dubbed the ‘Cottonopolis’ during the Victorian era and was the international centre for household linen?
3. The European roulette wheels contain 37 numbered pockets. Fittingly the sum of these numbers is 666 (0-36)
4. Scissors go all the way back to the 18th dynasty Egypt (1500BC), some came in solid gold, even if they looked more like shears.
5. Dancing with scissors is a competition that dates back to the 1500’s in Peru. It’s a traditional test of manliness where two or more guys leap about furiously snipping in time to a beat. Once they are knackered they start skewering themselves with pointed sticks before eating glass, walking on fire and flaying each other with sarcasm. The whole thing can last for hours until one of them gives up or is hospitalized.
I could think of better ways to have fun.
6. Scissors were used for curses. Example if you encounter a bridegroom on horseback (not common, but ok) the thing to do is stand behind him,present the scissors with the blades open and shout his name. When he turns you then close them with extreme prejudice. The aim is to cause a unless night in the marital bed, according to North African lore.
7. As for some good stuff. Open scissors under your pillow is supposed to be good for pain relief and when hung above a door as a cross they keep the witches away. Some more superstition – never give scissors away or use them on Thursdays or Fridays. I guess that means hairdressers should just shut shop on those days.