Two great books as gifts for Christmas
This of course is my book ‘Living better on less’ which I believe to have some great tips and a good Christmas present.
Just click on books to go to Amazon
This is a report from USA today which I thought quite interesting. Note Texas is not mentioned.
The Bureau of Economic Analysis, which published in July its report for 2014 prices for household consumption across the country. Your dollar will go a lot farther — 30% farther, in fact — in states like Mississippi and Arkansas THAN say Washington, D.C., and Hawaii.
This of course is 2 years ago, there may be a few changes but basically it gives you an idea of where it would be cheaper to live. If you want to move.
The states where your dollar (rounded to the nearest cent) is worth the most are:
1. Mississippi ($1.15)
2. Arkansas ($1.14)
3. Alabama ($1.14)
4. South Dakota ($1.14)
5. Kentucky ($1.13)
6. West Virginia ($1.12)
7. Ohio ($1.12)
8. Missouri ($1.12)
9. Oklahoma ($1.11)
10. Tennessee ($1.11)
11. Iowa ($1.11)
The cost of living in 35 states was below the national average.
The areas where your dollar is worth the least are the District of Columbia (85 cents), Hawaii (86 cents), New York (86 cents), New Jersey (87 cents), and California (89 cents).
1.That it is my Son Jamin’s Birthday today. It is also our good friend Tim’s Birthday.Hope they both have a wonderful day.
2. The Rules to get the best seafood.
a. Buy low – Slash toxin exposure by buying seafood low on the food chain: scallops, oysters, shrimp and anchovies, catfish, clams, pollock, sardines, salmon squid and Tilapia.
b. To minimize mercury avoid predatory fish like: Shark, Marlin, Swordfish, Tilefish, Ahi, and bigeye tun, King mackerel and orange roughy.
c. Pick long living species like bluefish, albacore, yellow fin tuna and striped bass only occasionally.
3.You need to read the Ingredients of Sunscreens
Chemicals to avoid like Retinyl palmitate, a type of vitamin A found in many SPF products can speed skin Tumor growth. Oxybenzone, a chemical found in many sunscreens is not only bad for your skin it has been found to be killing coral reefs and other sea creatures. Because of sunscreen used while swimming the Oxybenzone harms the DNA of both adult coral and larval young.
Sunscreen chemicals interact with sunlight to hamper the growth of phytoplankton, causing the death of whales, fish and other species that rely on tiny plants for food.
Source : Prevention.com
4. That studies have found that runners who rinsed with minty mouthwash solution during workout are able to go faster than those who drank an icy sports drink. Menthol can make you feel cool all over and appears to reduce feelings of dryness and thirst that can slow you down.
Source: Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in sports
5. According to the American Journal of Clinical Dermatology that there is an impressive reduction of 25% in melanoma occurrence among people who drank one to four daily cups of coffee compared with non-coffee drinkers. Various antioxidants in coffee apparently interfere with the formation of cancer via UV light
18 Rules of Living
by the Dalai Lama
1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
2. When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
3. Follow the three R’s: 1. Respect for self 2. Respect for others 3. Responsibility for all your actions
4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
6. Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
7. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
8. Spend some time alone every day.
9. Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
11. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
13. In disagreements with loved ones deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
14. Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
15. Be gentle with the earth.
16. Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
17. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
18. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
Human Eye Detects sound
Yes, sound. University research studies show that mild and incidental noises cause the pupils of the eyes to dilate.
According to David Louis’s book of Fascinating Facts, Uninvited noise bothers professions like surgeons, watchmakers and others who perform delicate work, because the sudden noise causes their pupils to change focus and maybe blur their vision.
The cornea has unmyelinated nerve endings sensitive to touch, temperature and chemicals; a touch of the cornea causes an involuntary reflex to close the eyelid.
A sneeze was believed the expulsion of some sort of evil, and the phrase was meant to ward off the evil’s re-entry.
The poison is found in its skin and feathers.
They call it the “garbage bird” because of its unpleasant smell, and avoid eating it because of the bitter taste and a tendency to make people sick. The Hooded Pitohui has batrachotoxin (BTX) in its dander, and in its skin and feathers, a neurotoxin identical to that used by deadly poison frogs in Colombia, South America.
The oldest living tree and hence one of the oldest known living things on earth
Is a bristlecone pine tree located in California, its actually over 4,600 years old. The ancient warped and twisted bristlecone pine tree, a big draw for photographers, painters and other artists.