- Research reported in the Journal called the Lancet say’s that 45 minutes three to five times a week can improve your mental health. On the other hand more than 90 min a day can actually worsen your metal health – lesson here, is do not overdo it.
2. There are 196 countries in the world today:- 195 if you don’t include Taiwan as many countries do not officially recognize it
3. The perfect length of time to be on vacation is 8 days. Your health and wellness levels rise rapidly while on holiday but peak on the 8th day. The suggestion is to take more vacations instead of longer ones
4. Sleeping with your bedroom door closed could help you survive a house fire. Open door can reach 1,000+ degrees Fahrenheit. Having your door closed can keep the temperature in your room below 100, limit the carbon monoxide exposure and reduce smoke inhalation
5. One if five people suffer from misophonia – This is a condition where certain sounds trigger bouts of anger or stress. 36% say their symptoms worsened after they had caffeine. Some of the other triggers are Gum popping, food chewing or crunching, sniffing, breathing, not sure about that one ( We all have to breathe) , pen clicking, clock ticking, whistling, lip smacking, finger or foot tapping
This book I read on my holiday at Bermagui Beach. Could not put it down. It is written by Rosalie Ham and the story is set in Australia and a compelling read. It is also in Video now which features Aussie actor Chris Hemsworth and English actor and Kate Winslet.
1. 90% of the ‘Happy Hormone’ Serotonin is made in the stomach, which is why digestive problems often cause depression.
Source – Nutrition and Food Science
2. According to a study presented to the Gerontological Society of America, men and women who took a 1000mg resveratrol supplement daily showed significantly increased blood flow to the brain. “We also saw exciting evidence suggesting comprehension and memory processing were improved” said Dr Steve Anton.
I think that would be a whole lot of red wine so maybe the tablets would be the better alternative otherwise you would end up intoxicated every day and I am not sure if your memory would be working very well the next day.
3. 300 minutes a week is the average that dog owners walk. 168 minutes is the average that non-dog owners walk.
Source – Nature and health
4. 19 Million is the number of prescriptions for antibiotics written every year in Australia – One of the highest usage rates in the world.
5. A ‘cargotecture’ is shipping containers are used in eco-friendly construction, from hotels to stores – eve, in Washington DC holiday rental cottages
1. Can’t sing in key? It may be that no amount of music lessons can help: Your ability to sing in tune is genetic? According to english researchers, about one in 20 of us can not even recognize off-key notes.
2. 95% is the percentage of people who use a computer just before bedtime . Did you know that the light from the computer screen slows the release of sleep-promoting melatonin, so try to dim, the lights a full hour before bed instead.
3. 6.3 kilos the average cruise passenger [puts on during a two-week holiday, according to a study by BONVOYAGE
4. Did you know there are more barrels of bourbon in Kentucky than people
5. Did you know that during the prohibition the US government poisoned alcohol Killing as many as 10,000 people.
Unfortunately the US dollar is in poor shape at the moment which makes traveling to Europe rather expensive.
Well here is some good news. The Cruise companies in their wisdom, predicted that Europe was going to be a gold mine as far as tourism goes. Alas it was not to be, but good news for us, because there is now a glut of cabins on cruise ships that are going for a bargain.
- Major Cruise lines increased the European capacity but it has not been as popular as predicted and cabins are not selling.
- The Companies are offering discount prices for Spring and Summer.
- Packages can include airfares at a price much lower than we can buy them.
- You can use your frequent flyer point as well.
This means you can pay for most of your trip here in the States using your US dollar.
So if you were planning to go to Europe for the summer, don’t let the low US dollar scare you off as you can pay for most of it at home.