Tag Archives: eye
- Use baby oil to remove eye makeup. Approx 25 cents per oz. Works extremely well and many name brand eye makeup removers can cost $4.50 per oz. Savings at least $4.25.
Baby oil Gel – This also makes for a great body oil. Soaks into the skin easily. Savings $4.00 or more.
2. Mens shaving gel – recent check at Jet.com found that a 14 ounce container of mens shave gel sold for #3.76. The same quantity of similar wines shave gel was $5.35. Savings $1.58
3. Routinely call or write – To your cable company, internet provider or tv services to see what they will do to keep you loyal. Netflix for example offered a free month of service. Savings $8.
These companies in Australia, not so much. Not enough competition so not so eager to please
- When you should plant in your garden
2. A giant Celtic cross design, only visible from the sky, has been discovered growing in an Irish forest. The 100-meter (330ft) long religious symbol remained undetected for years until airline passengers noticed it while flying overhead.
The cross in Killea forest in county Donegal caused much confusion until an investigation by UTV revealed it wasn’t aliens bored with crop circles but was instead planned by Liam Emmery, a very creative and talented forester.
Meticulously planting hundreds of trees over a period of years Emmery was able to plan out the design which would reveal itself every autumn to those flying overhead.
Unfortunately Emmery passed away in 2010 aged 51, before his creation became known to the public. His wife had forgotten about his elaborate plan until UTV approached her about it, telling them “I’d forgotten about the plantation, if he was here, we would have all heard about it because he would have been so proud.”
3. There is a “Hangover Bar” in Amsterdam .
It’s the first of its kind in the world – a mecca for anyone who partied a little too hard the night before.
Only open from Friday to Sunday, The Hangover Bar has everything a boozer needs to get back on track.
There’s no cheating your way in for a free bed either – there are ‘hangover inspectors’ guarding the doors.
They breathalyze you on entry to make sure you still have alcohol in your system – the very opposite of a sobriety test.
Once inside, a green oasis awaits, ready to meet all your hangover needs.
There are beds laid out with accompanying televisions to play your favourite TV shows.
Green turf and towering pot plants weave their way around them, and there’s an oxygen bar to speed up the recovery process.
Foodora has created a special food menu featuring vitamin-boosting smoothies.
“To overcome a hangover there are a few things you need: a good mattress, good food, fun and lots of vitamins”
4. Bob Marley’s youngest son, Damian is turning a former prison for non-violent drug offenders into a pot farm. The Coalinga, CA, prison will grow medical marijuana for state dispensaries is providing 100 new jobs, and its $4.1 million sale has already erased all of the towns debt
5. Difficulty with eye contact may be a sign of a good conversationalist. A pair of researchers from Kyoto University studied this. “The dual task of maintaining eye contact (and the inherent intimate connection it involves) while also racking the brain for a word to meet the request is just too demanding – to save itself, the brain pushes for breaking eye contact so it can focus exclusively on finding a word that will fulfill the obligation.”
Essentially, breaking eye contact allows us to better choose our words. Looking someone in the eye may help us better establish an emotional rapport, but looking elsewhere may actually stimulate better conversation.
First Did You Know for the Year
- Bruce Springsteen said he is afraid of the Trump Presidency, he also said when President Reagan was elected that he was very afraid. I guess he is a very afraid Democrat. (He has got nothing to be afraid of.)
2. A rigorously done new study shows that those with the highest sugar intake had a four-fold increase in their risk of heart attacks compared to those with the lowest intakes. That’s 400 percent! Just one 20-ounce soda increases your risk of a heart attack by about 30 percent.
3. If you see this label
a. A four-digit code beginning with a 3 or a 4 means the produce is probably conventionally grown. The last digits of the code represent the kind of the fruit or vegetable you are buying. For example, bananas are always labeled with the code of 4011.
b. If there are five numbers, and the first is “8″, then the product is genetically modified. The label on genetically modified banana (GE-genetically engineered of GMO) would contain the numbers 84011.
c. A five-digit number that starts with a 9 means the item is organic. Organic bananas are labeled with 94011.
EWG ( The Environmental Working Group) analyzed pesticide residue testing data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Food and Drug Administration to come up with rankings for these popular fresh produce items.
The Environmental Protection Agency warns that the consumption of pesticides can lead to health problems such as “birth defects, nerve damage, cancer, and other effects that might occur over a long period of time.” Children are especially at risk of harm from pesticides.
Orangutan females give birth only about once every 8 years, the longest time between births of any mammal on earth.
Orangutans share almost 97 percent of the human DNA (scary)
A bird’s takes up about 50 percent of its head. A humans eyes take up about 5 percent of its head.
1. Facial Expression
Facial expressions are responsible for a huge proportion of nonverbal communication. Consider how much information can be conveyed with a smile or a frown. While nonverbal communication and behavior can vary dramatically between cultures, the facial expressions for happiness, sadness, anger, and fear are similar throughout the world.
Deliberate movements and signals are an important way to communicate meaning without words. Common gestures include waving, pointing, and using fingers to indicate numeric amounts. Other gestures are arbitrary and related to culture.
Paralinguistics refers to vocal communication that is separate from actual language. This includes factors such as tone of voice, loudness, inflection, and pitch. Consider the powerful effect that tone of voice can have on the meaning of a sentence. When said in a strong tone of voice, listeners might interpret approval and enthusiasm. The same words said in a hesitant tone of voice might convey disapproval and a lack of interest.
4. Body Language and Posture
Posture and movement can also convey a great deal on information. Research on body language has grown significantly since the 1970’s, but popular media have focused on the over-interpretation of defensive postures, arm-crossing, and leg-crossing, especially after the publication of Julius Fast’s book Body Language. While these nonverbal behaviors can indicate feelings and attitudes, research suggests that body language is far more subtle and less definitive that previously believed.
People often refer to their need for “personal space,” which is also an important type of nonverbal communication. The amount of distance we need and the amount of space we perceive as belonging to us is influenced by a number of factors including social norms, situational factors, personality characteristics and level of familiarity. For example, the amount of personal space needed when having a casual conversation with another person usually varies between 18 inches to four feet. On the other hand, the personal distance needed when speaking to a crowd of people is around 10 to 12 feet.
6. Eye Gaze
The eyes play an important role in nonverbal communication and such things as looking, staring, and blinking can also be important nonverbal behaviors. When people encounter people or things that they like, the rate of blinking increases and pupils dilate. Looking at another person can indicate a range of emotions including hostility, interest, and attraction.
Communicating through touch is another important nonverbal behavior. There has been a substantial amount of research on the importance of touch in infancy and early childhood. Harry Harlow’s classic monkey study demonstrated how the deprivation of touch and contact impedes development. Baby monkeys raised by wire mothers experienced permanent deficits in behavior and social interaction. Touch can be used to communicate affection, familiarity, sympathy, and other emotions.
Our choice of color, clothing, hairstyles, and other factors affecting appearance are also considered a means of nonverbal communication. Research on color psychology has demonstrated that different colors can evoke different moods. Appearance can also alter physiological reactions, judgments, and interpretations. Just think of all the subtle judgements you quickly make about someone based on his or her appearance. These first impressions are important, which is why experts suggest that job seekers dress appropriately for interviews with potential employers.
1. The Arby’s beef ‘N Cheddar classic has half the calories as the Roast Turkey ranch and bacon sandwich. Who would have known it. I would have thought the reverse.
If you are counting calories well here is a comparison list for some of these fast foods.
Sugared raised doughnut and iced latte 300 calories
Sesame seed bagel with plain cream cheese 500 calories
Cobb salad with avocado lime ranch dressing – 740 calories
Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich 440 calories.
Rib Eye and baked potato with butter and sour cream – 1,110 calories
Asiago peppercorn Sirloin biscuit and broccoli 525 Calories.
2. Houtou Wan Village is located on Gouqi Island, which belongs to a group of 394 islands known as the Shengsi Islands in the Zhoushan Archipelago.
Once a thriving settlement merely half a century ago, Houtou Wan Village was gradually deserted when the small bay could no longer meet the needs of the increasing number of fishing boats.
Nature has reclaimed the land, turning the village into a hauntingly beautiful wonderland devoid of human presence except for wandering tourists and a handful of elderly residents who refuse to leave their birthplace.
Above photo credit: Jane Qing
3. The human body knows within seconds whether someone is physically attractive or not.
Body language will give you the tools to know where you stand.
Source – Science of people
4. Wombats have cubed shaped poop. They’re all native to Australia and some of the surrounding islands. Wombats are marsupials. Like koalas, female wombats have pouches that face to the rear of their bodies, in which they carry and nurse their young. Wombats leave their cube-shaped poop as territorial signposts on the tops of rocks and logs. It is a natural ways of marking territory to prevent confrontation and promote mating.
5. Cremated ashes can now be converted into a vinyl record.
Thanks to a company called Vinyly.
That includes 12 minutes of audio per side that can include final words and memories, licensed music.
Jackets can include portraits.
I have two Christmas gift ideas this time.
- Now this idea is brilliant and is a must have!
For those of you that have amazing eye sight this is not for you. On the other hand I bet you know someone who would just love you for ever with this gift. It will always be on hand, (as long as you don’t leave your iPhone at home like I do half the time). it will not take up space in your purse or handbag and you can get any strength you like.
Now these are glasses that you are not going to have perched on your nose all day, they are what i call convenient glasses.
I am a label reader so when I go to the store I usually have to fossick in my handbag and get my glasses so I can read a label. Well most of the time I will always know where my phone is and know my glasses are attached.
Anyway take a look at the video as I am sure it will convince you that these are a must have. I love mine.
2. MUFFIN TOPS
Now these I just love. I laugh every time I see them.
These would make good stocking stuffers or an unusual gift for a birthday or for no particular reason – just to give. It will bring a smile to the dial I am sure. It did mine. Also amusement at the table.