Tag Archives: eating
1. What Brassica vegetables are:
These vegetables rank among the top 10 healthiest and give you the most folate which is a B vitamin which is naturally present in these vegetables and an important vitamin for pregnant woman. However a study of 1391 women released in May 2016 revealed that excessive amounts of folate may increase the risk for autism.
So the old saying “Everything in moderation” is very relevant with this vitamin.
Source Nature and Health
2. In a study of 512,891 adults, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, those who ate fresh fruit daily had a 40 percent lower risk of dying from cardiovascular disease.
3. If you stop eating by 6pm till 8am the next day you will help to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s dramatically plus lose a bit of weight around the waist as well.
That 14 hours of fasting will put the brain in resting mode and reduce the brain from aging.
Another benefit is to be drinking green tea and increase your consumption of eggs which helps to build a healthy brain.
4. Japan’s population consumes up to 5 million kit Kat bars every day.
Not the original chocolate variety, they have a choice of strawberry, cheese Cake, green tea, sweet potato , red bean sandwich and sake and there is more:- 300 flavors in fact.
In my opinion a great way to ruin a Kit Kat bar.
5. Lyndon B Johnson had a car that could go in and out of the water. He would scare his passengers by driving into the lake shouting”The brakes won’t hold we are going to go under”. The Amphicar had a Texas REG. Number TX1919-AZ
As we all aware it is much better for our bodies, if we eat our vitamins and not pop them as pills. There are exceptions of course. A digestive system that is not what it should be, may not absorb all the minerals from food and we become deficient in certain vitamins, that is when popping a pill may help.
Keep eating those fresh veggies.
If you are eating out
Share your meals. Get your children to share also.
How many times do you eat out at a restaurant and you are unable to finish your meal.
Choose a meal that both you and your partner enjoy, ask the waiter to bring you two plates and split the meal.
The children also very rarely finish their meal so have them share a meal as well.
You will probably save up to 20 dollars on your bill.
If you are trying to lose weight, then staying home and not going to a restaurant is probably the best advise.
On saying that, life is too short to give up the pleasure of eating out.
So here are some tips to consider that will help you resist temptation and help maintain your weight program.
1. Do not choose a restaurant with a buffet. Invariably they are not cheap if you have a limited appetite. If you are trying to train yourself to eat less, then these sort of restaurants will sabotage your efforts. It’s all too tempting to get your “Money’s worth” and overeat.
2. Plan what you intend to eat and choose the restaurant in advance and make reservations.
3. Don’t starve yourself before you go. Have a snack of something like a banana or nuts, anything to curb your appetite. Being hungry before you go to the restaurant is a certain recipe for over-ordering.
4. Make sure you do some exercise that day. Preferably just before you go out. It helps speed up your metabolism. The body will use up your meal faster. Drink water that will also curb your appetite and thirst for alcohol.
5. Order steamed vegetables and the salad dressing on the side. Some of the dressings they put on salads have more calories than the whole salad. Use vinegar and oil dressing which is healthier and fewer calories. No butter on vegetables. Don’t order dessert
It’s all about making good food choices.
CNN reported on the 30th April 2010 on the tactics used by some restaurants to get their customers to eat more, eat faster and leave sooner.
It seems that loud music will do the job.
In the mid-1980’s researchers at Fairfield University, demonstrated that people increased their rate of chewing by almost a third when listening to faster, louder music.
This must have been interesting to watch. I guess they must have sat somewhere close to unsuspecting tables and counted the increase speed of patrons food chewing. I LOL when I read this, but how else would they have got the results I guess.
The results being, it appears some restaurants, turn the music up louder around 10.30pm and when this happens the bites are accelerated from 3.83 bites a minute to 4.4 bites a minute. Some restaurants have the music loud all evening.
Also there was a study in France, that found when the music decibel is increased, men appeared to consume more drinks and in less time.
I think this study is so interesting, as this is not the only method the restaurants have to move their patrons along and have them spend more money.
They make sure the chairs are not too comfortable.
Diners in the middle of the restaurant will be exposed to the hustle and bustle of the restaurant, feel uncomfortable and consequently eat faster and leave.
I have experienced this myself and I am sure you have also. If your table is close to the kitchen I find that I get a little irritated, eat faster and leave. Sometimes I ask to be moved if it is possible.
The pictures on the menu are so well done, look great and you are inclined to over order. This is something you need to watch so you don’t overspend. Remember if you are still hungry you can always order more.
My suggestion is order in smaller increments you could save yourself from wasting money on something you are unable to eat as your “Eyes were bigger than your stomach”
Bright lights are another way to encourage patron turnover. Quick service restaurants and casual food places rely on fast turnover.
And of course you will get the restaurant that blatantly tell you that they are busy and you only have 45 minutes before the next party arrives. That I find very offensive and usually I will leave. Find somewhere else that is more relaxing and pleasant.
So next time you are out dining, take a look and listen to your surroundings and see if what the researchers have found is correct. It may save you some money to be aware of some of these things and allow you to have a more pleasant evening.
Because, Its your money and you need to get the most enjoyment out of it possible. Don’t be rushed by anybody.
Hey, I don’t mean being a cheap skate. If you’re on a tight budget, but don’t want to appear broke, and would rather like to give a good impression. Here are some money-saving suggestions.
Now this is one way you can blow your budget. An evening at a restaurant can be as much as what you would pay for groceries for a whole week. You need to come up with some innovative ideas on how to dine your new interest. After all you don’t want to spend money that you can’t afford on someone who by the end of the night you might find is not quite what you expected and don’t intend to see them again. Painful.
Here are some suggestions.
1. Go for coffee first. That doesn’t stretch the budget too much and a cake or cookie is not as expensive as say a lunch. It’s actually a nice informal way to get to know someone as well.
2. Try asking him or her for breakfast. You would both have to be early risers if it was during the week, but maybe you could make it Saturday morning or Saturday or Sunday mid morning. Cook up a great feast, Bacon, Eggs , Pancakes, French toast, fruit and yogurt, Mimosa (inexpensive champagne and orange juice. If the weather is nice have it outside.
3. Invite your date for dinner. If you have a BBQ, ask her or him around for a BBQ. It can be inexpensive and a nice informal dinner with a couple of beers or glasses of wine. Again if the weather is pleasant, eat outside. It’s a great way to get to know someone (and how well they can cook). If you don’t have a BBQ and you are not good at cooking , ask your Mother to cook for you. No harm in asking, she can only say yes or no.
4. Have a Picnic. Now I am all for picnics. Get some wine, or juice, make some sandwiches or go buy some. Then go to a local park or nice area for such an activity. (don’t forget the mosquito spray and a blanket to sit on if there is not picnic tables)
This also can also put a hole in your budget if not planned well. Hopefully you have chosen someone with simple tastes. If this person is high maintenance, you had better give him or her a miss until you can financially support her or his tastes.
Here are some inexpensive things to do:
1. Movies – Find out what he or she likes in Movies. Find one that you are both compatible with. Quickly pass the food area. Here’s an idea – arrive to the movies late (not so you will miss the start) then you won’t have time to buy popcorn and all the expensive junk they sell at the movies.
2. Rent Movies at home. After the BBQ you can watch a movie. Another way to get to know them.
3. Music in the Park – Often there is a free music festival in your local park area. They can often be very entertaining. Check out the newspaper for some free events that may be of interest.
4. Beach walking – If you went to the beach for a picnic, often there are activities at the beach you can do. People watching is good and just chatting.
5. Get friends together – Ask some friends around to meet you new attraction. That way you can see if she or he likes your friends. Play cards or play some other games together. They might be competitive and pout when they lose or they might be social butterflies and your friends will love them.
6. Hiking – If you are in an area that has great hiking trails go on a hike. (this is only ok though if your interest is of the physical type)
7. Sex – Well if any of the above went well. It’s free and it’s fun.
Hope this has given you some ideas of what you can do when you need to entertain on the cheap and make it enjoyable at the same time.
It is really not about the money it is about making yourself available and putting effort into making someone have an enjoyable time.