Valentine’s Day Cupcakes
To guarantee a happy holiday, here is a lighter cupcake recipe that stays moist and doesn’t skimp on the frosting. Perfect as a surprise treat for your spouse or a weekend baking project with the grandkids. Take a sneak peek at our calorie-saving ingredients!
A lighter cupcake recipe that stays moist and doesn’t skimp on the frosting
OUR SOLUTION HAS:
38% few calories
65% less sat fat
47% less sugar
than a standard recipe
Chocolate Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Frosting
WORK TIME: 15 MINUTES / TOTAL TIME: 40 MINUTES / SERVINGS: 8
OUR CUPCAKES ARE RICH AND MOIST–WITHOUT ANY BUTTER. A BIG SWIRL OF CREAMY VANILLA FROSTING TASTES HEAVENLY YET SAVES ON CALORIES AND SAT FAT, COMPARED WITH TYPICAL BUTTERCREAM.
1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
3/4 c granulated sugar
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 c water
1/2 c fat-free plain yogurt
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1 egg white
1/2 tsp instant coffee, dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c + 2 tbsp heavy cream
2 oz reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
1/4 c confectioners’ sugar
2-3 drops red food coloring (optional)
1. HEAT oven to 350°F. line 8 cups of a standard muffin tin or spray with oil.
2. MIX flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in bowl with fork.
3. COMBINE water, yogurt, oil, applesauce, egg white, coffee, and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla extract in large bowl. beat with electric mixer until combined and smooth. Slowly add the flour mixture and beat until smooth.
4. FILL muffin cups with batter. bake until wooden pick inserted in center of each cake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. cool completely.
5. BEAT cream, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract in bowl with electric mixer until thick and stiff. Stir in food coloring, if using. Spread about 2 tablespoons on top of each cupcake. if not serving immediately, store cupcakes in refrigerator.
NUTRITION (per serving) 326 cal, 5 g pro, 42 g carb, 2 g fiber, 16.5 g fat, 6.5 g sat fat, 251 mg sodium.