I know I have written on this subject many times but have not come up with 30 ideas to get a good nights sleep. Even if just one of them works then I have done my job.
I will tell you which ones I have used that do or do not work. As we have been told lack of sleep can contribute to obesity, diabetes, and a chronic bad attitude, and losing a job because of it.
These ideas come from a website call the ‘Greatest‘ it has some really good articles.
27 Ways to Get A Good Nights sleep.
- Have a bedtime routine – This one does work if you stick to it. Try to get to bed at around the same time every night when you can.
- Journal – Write out stressful thoughts that are not allowing you to have a restful sleep before you go to bed. Then when in bed spend 5 minutes writing 5 things that have made you feel good that day. Now this works. It allows you to put your mind in better place before the head hits the pillow
- Tapping – Otherwise known as Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT). Now this is my idea. I do it often when I am particularly bothered with something. This only takes a few minutes.
This is a diagram of the points to tap and if you click on the picture you can go to the website that will tell you more about it. This is worth it.
4. Chew some magnesium – I take a magnesium tablet but pumpkin seeds are good. Consume either 30 minutes before you go to bed.
5. Chamomile tea – Try it if you like it. I don’t.
6. Exercise – If you do this regularly it can reduce anxiety and improve sleep for those who suffer from insomnia. It has been proven another benefit from physical activity is that exercise is a form of meditation and can relax the mind while you are doing exercise and you are not concentrating on the things that stress you out. Especially if you are exercising to music which I believe you cannot be stressed and listen to your favorite songs.
7. Work out early in the day – Yep I do this 5 days a week. I believe that it is better not to do too much exercise late in the after noon. Maybe a small walk but for me if I do rigorous exercise late in the afternoon gives me an adrenaline boost and peps me up for hours and I find it hard to go to sleep.
8. Power nap during the day – Works for me.
9. Bedroom for bedroom activities – Sleeping and sex nothing else. No TV, no computers, no phones, no business talk.
10. Snuggly environment – Spend a little extra on 800 thread sheets for summer, fluffy warm sheets for winter. Get that perfect mattress. Find the perfect pillows. Works for me.
11. Keep the bedroom cool – They say the best temperature is about 60 to 75 degrees. Not too cold. If it’s too cold I need a woolly hat on as my head gets cold. Not a sexy look I might add.
12. Try to get at least 7 hours sleep a night – 8 is better – Research shows that not sleeping enough can be linked to insulin resistance and of course diabetes.
13. Take a hot shower or bath – This helps the mind and body to relax. The rise and fall of body temperature induces sleepiness.
14. Try to have a wake up time – This for me depends on what time I go to the gym. I always wake up early even in the weekends when I have no reason to get up. Always wake up with the sun.
15. Make up for lost sleep – This I have heard makes no difference but in my case if I have had a late night the night before I find I am in bed a little earlier the next night or I have a nanny nap during the day
16. Keep the caffeine drinks to the morning – Not a good idea before bed.
17. Dont Toss and Turn – They say get up for 10 minutes, go to the loo or go have a cup of warm milk or glass of water and go back to bed. Another idea is pick up your favorite magazine and look at some nice homes or fashion something to take you mind off what is making you toss and turn.
18. Medication check – Check you medication it may be making you sleepless. If so go see the doctor and get it changed. I don’t take medication so that is not my problem.
19. Pets on the floor – Don’t have your pet on the bed sleeping with you as the chances it is what could be disturbing you. Make sure your pet has a nice comfortable bed on the floor and make sure he or she understands they are not welcome on the bed. I know its hard to do but once they are in the habit you will both be happy and you will not get grouchy with it.
20. Sleeping tracker – If you do have to have your smartphone in the bedroom or you could get one of those fitbit watches you are able to track your sleeping patterns. This can show you what may be disturbing your snooze time. I believe they are very good.
21. Listen to soothing music – You are able to get sound tracks of things like rivers, oceans, wind any thing that may make you feel peaceful and nod off to sleep. You can get that sort of gadget on Amazon
22. Sniff of Lavender – works well. I put a few drops on my pillow of pure lavender oil or spray what ever I have at the time, every night.
23. Muscle relaxation – Now this works but takes a bit of concentration – You need to start with the feet and work your way up your body. Often by then you fall asleep. The idea is to tighten your muscle then relax. Like tighten your muscles in the feet for a few seconds then relax. Tighten the muscles in the calf of your leg then relax etc etc till you get to the head. By that time the chances are you are snoring.
24. Breath – Now this does work – well most of the time – I find by the time I focus on 4 deep slow breaths if am ready for sleep. I do this often with success. Actually if there is any for of anxiety you are facing even if you are not in bed a deep breath really helps to calm the nerves
25. Dim the lights – Any bright lights will disturb your sleep. If you have any electronics in the room turn them off at the wall. Especially if they are a ‘blue light’ they will cause disturbance in your sleep.
26. Sunlight your best friend – Make sure you get some sunlight during the day. sunlight keeps daytime fatigue at bay, leading to more sleepiness at bedtime. That good old Vitamin D the natural way is a must and good for you in moderation.
27. Shut that Computer down – Artificial lights from computers, TVs, and cell phones might make it more difficult for the body to understand when it’s time to wind down. Try reading.
28. Drink something warm – Before you go to bed have some warm milk or milk and chocolate. Or just dark chocolate that sometimes helps.
29. Dream a little – This also works for me – I have a place that I go to when I am having trouble going to sleep. I visualize the sand and the track and the bushes on the way to my favorite beach. I visualize the waves the fish in the waves etc etc and off to La La land I go.
30. Wine – Glass of red before bed works for me