- 1 small onion, diced
- 5 small carrots, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 4 cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup marsala wine, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes
- In a large dutch oven, saute onion, carrots, garlic and red pepper. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in ¼ cup marsala wine, tomatoes and broth and more salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Once it’s come to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and ladle into a blender. Blend on low until smooth. (I blended in two batches and made sure to leave the top part of the lid off to allow steam to escape.)
- Return to pot and stir in sugar and baking soda over medium heat. Stir until all of the bubbles are gone.
- Stir in the remainder marsala and heavy cream. Remove from heat and let cool slightly before serving.
- Serve with sour cream, cheese, basil and crouton if desired.