To be bitten by some unknown creature can be a little concerning to say the least. If this creature leaves its mark by a red throbbing welt on your skin chances are its not too serious and will disappear quickly. But there are the cases that some bites and stings such as wasps, fire ants and bees can cause intense pain and in some cases like my Mom, have an allergic reaction to wasp and bee stings. If so that can be very serious and may need medical attention immediately. Spider bites are a good example of, get to that hospital or medical care as fast as you can.
It is always best if you are going to an outside function to wear protective clothing and an insect spray and don’t eat food or wear fragrances that attract bugs and always carry medication if you know you are allergic to certain bugs.
It is also so much safer to be proactive against bites as certain bites can also spread illnesses such as Zika, West Nile, Lyme disease from ticks rocky mountain spotted fever from a dog or wood tick, Chagas disease from kissing bugs.
Precaution is the best medicine.
- Mosquito – A mosquito bite appears as an itchy round, red, or pink skin bump. It’s usually harmless but can sometimes cause a serious illness, such as the ones mentioned above.
2. Bed Bugs – You probably won’t feel pain when a bed bug bites, but you may see a row of two or more red marks on your skin. Some people develop a mild or severe allergic reaction to the bug’s saliva between 24 hours and three days later. They usually attack open areas like the face, neck, hands and arms. The good news is that they don’t carry any disease so its just a matter of getting some medication to get rid of the itch and minor swelling.
3. Spider bite: – Some bites rendered harmless others not so much. It can be an emergency. It can cause tightness in the chest and breathing difficulties , swallowing difficulty and swelling of the face. If you have any of these symptoms get medical attention at once.
Because spider bites can get infected with tetanus, the CDC also recommends staying on top of your tetanus booster shots and getting one every 10 years.
A bite from a poisonous spider like the black widow or brown recluse is extremely dangerous. The black widow’s bite, which shows up as two puncture marks, may or may not be painful at first. But 30 to 40 minutes later, you may have pain and swelling in the area. Within eight hours, you may experience muscle pain and rigidity, stomach and back pain, nausea and vomiting, and breathing difficulties. You might not have seen the spider that bit you, but always seek medical attention immediately if there’s a possibility you could have been bitten by a poisonous spider. Call 911 or the American Association of Poison Control Centers at 800-222-1222. In the case of Australia call OOO or get to the nearest medical centre or hospital.
4. Tick bites – These can be quite dangerous because of the disease that they can carry as I mentioned above. If you get a rash or swelling from a tick bite especially Rocky Mountain spotted fever tick you need to get to the doctor immediately as it has been known to be fatal.
5. Flea bites – These bites tend to be in about 3 or 4 bites in one area. These get itchy and you are inclined to scratch which could cause infection. The best remedy is “Don’t Scratch” those fingernails can cause the infection. The infections can be quite serious, years ago it was thought to cause the plaque.
6.Bee Stings – The sting can be painful and cause irritation for a couple of days but if you have a type of allergic response, called anaphylaxis, it is a medical emergency that needs treatment immediately. Symptoms of severe allergy to a bee sting include hives, swelling, trouble breathing, dizziness, cramps, nausea, diarrhea, and even cardiac arrest.
7. Lice Bites – Lice bites are tiny red spots on the shoulders, neck, and scalp from small parasitic insects that can live on your clothes or in your bedding. The bites are more of an irritation and can cause quite a rash. Lice are not known to carry disease.
8. Ant sting and bite – Some types of ants, like fire ants, are venomous and can cause a severe allergy. Fire ants bite first to hold on and then sting, giving a sharp pain and a burning sensation. If you’re bitten by fire ants, you may see white, fluid-filled pustules or blisters a few days after the sting. They can scar thats why it is important not to scratch or take the tops off. Carpenter ants bites are also painful because they spray formic acid into the bite, which causes a burning feeling.
9. Mite and Chiggar bites – Itch mites usually feed on insects but will bite other animals, including people. The bites usually go unnoticed until itchy, red marks develop that may look like a skin rash.
Chiggers are a form of mite that inject their saliva so that they can liquefy and eat skin. In response to the chigger bite, the skin around the bite hardens. As the picture above illustrates, the surrounding skin becomes irritated and inflamed, and an itchy red welt develops.
Mites have been known to cause scabies which is contagious from person to person. Female scabies mites burrow into the skin to lay eggs. When the eggs hatch, the larvae come to the skin surface, begin to molt, and burrow back into the skin to feed. Ugh the thought of it 🤢. It begins to look like bad acne. Get it checked out by your doctor.
10. Kissing Bug bites – Now this one I know nothing about and have seen these bugs thinking they are just a bug from the vegetable garden but not so. Kissing bugs, also known as assassin bugs, can pass on the parasites that cause Chagas disease.
According to September 2015 research from the University of Texas at El Paso published in Acta Tropica, more than half of these insects carry the parasite. In the United States, Chagas disease affects about 300,000 people.
The kissing bug appears to come out at night and can bite on the neck or face or eyelids and cause ugly swelling. Once the infection sets symptoms of Chagas disease can include fever, fatigue, body aches, headache, rash, a loss of appetite, diarrhea, and vomiting. if the symptoms become prolonged it can cause enlarged heart, heart failure, abnormal heart rhythm, cardiac arrest, or an enlarged colon, also known as megacolon.
So if you have any of these symptoms get to the medical clinic.