Zinc oxide is made from zinc, a type of metallic element found in nature. Like other elemental metals, including iron or electrolytes like magnesium, zinc is able to carry a certain electric charge that gives it special benefits within the body. Zinc Oxide has a benefit to the immune system, digestive tract, brain and skin. It is a “building block” for protein synthesis, enzyme creation, and metabolic processes.
Zinc oxide is not naturally occurring, but rather created when zinc is chemically heated and combined with oxygen molecules. The two elements are vaporized, condensed, and formed into a powder that is fine, white, crystallized and sits on top of the skin providing a protective layer.
Zinc Oxide as I know it always left a white creamy film on your face when applied but now with an advanced formula this is not so and is now more widely accepted as a sunscreen.
Zinc Oxide has now found to have many great benefits:
- Helping to lower skin inflammation associated with rashes, allergies or irritation (including diaper rash)
- Providing broad-spectrum sun protection that prevents burns (including on photo-sensitive skin)
- Providing protection from skin cancer/neoplasia (basal cell carcinoma)
- Improving wound healing and preventing bacterial infections
- Aiding in recovery of burns and damaged tissue
- Helping to treat acne breakouts
- Keeping moisture locked into dry skin
- Reducing dandruff
- Treating warts
- Lowering inflammatory dermatoses (including rosacea)
- Treating pigmentary disorders (melasma)
- Preventing aging of the skin
- Improving synthesis of collagen and forming of new connective tissue
I personally have been a little dubious of a lot of the sunscreens as they have some quite toxic chemicals in the ingredients. On the other hand Zinc Oxide is a natural alternative that has been proven to be beneficial to the skin at the same time giving it protection from the elements.
Zinc is a mineral and has the ability to sit atop the skin and scatters away the ultraviolet rays. Due to the Zinc’s ability to do this you will probably find a small amount in most commercial sunscreens. Most chemical commercial sunscreens include the ingredient oxybenzon which is said to irritate the skin because of its toxicity.
Most commercial sunblock only protect you from either UVA or UVB rays, but not both types, hence more toxic chemicals are added to try to stop the sun burn.
- Zinc oxide is a substance created from zinc and oxygen which is usually found in powder form, but added to many lotions, ointments, sunscreens and rash creams.
- Zinc oxide has been found to have natural antiseptic and antibacterial abilities. Other benefits include healing epidermal wounds, burns, rashes, skin oiliness, infections and acne.
- Unlike many chemical sunscreens, zinc oxide protects against UVA and UVB light rays and is often used as a natural, non-toxic sunscreen to prevent burns, signs of photo-aging and irritation.
So when you next look at buying a sunscreen or actually changing your sunscreen immediately it is worth looking for a good Zinc Cream.
The cream that I use and the family use is the ‘Invisable Zinc’ product which came recommended to me.
You are able to purchase these on Amazon.