Superman made his comic debut 75 years ago this month – that being June 2013. This is some of Supermans history as exposed by Larry Tye the author of Superman: The High-Flying History of Americas’s Most Enduring Hero.
1. He has a Social Security number –In a 1966 issue of Action Comics, editors revealed that Clark Kent’s SSN is 092-09-6616
That number actually belonged to a flesh and blood New Yorker, Giobatta Baiocchi, who had died a year earlier ( no one knows why his number was picked)
2. He does not just fight fictional villains like Lex Luthor and Mr. Mxyzptik. – In a 1940 story commissioned for LOOK magazine, Superman hauled Hitler and Stalin before a league of Nations war crimes tribunal and battled white hooded Ku Klux Klansmen in a 1946 radio serial. Oddest of all in 1978 he boxed Muhammad Ali – and lost.
3. He failed his Army physical during World War 11 – You may ask why? He inadvertently read an eye chart in the adjoining room with his X-Ray vision.
4. He’s probably Jewish. – Superman creators Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel gave plenty of clues from Superman’s Kryptonian name Kal-El (Hebrew for “vessel of God”), to his origin story straight out of Exodus (as with Moses, his parent launched him to safety and adoption by gentiles, Martha and Jonathan Kent).
5. His middle name – Revealed in the comics in 1997 – is Joseph