I know the last week has been very hot almost everywhere. New York I believe was 102 yesterday which is unusual for that city.
The Kids are on vacation and sitting inside the house out of the heat is probably no fun for them. Here are some suggestions about where you could go, and entertain them out of the heat. The cost to go to most of these places is usually reasonable. If you indulge in the junk food then it becomes rather expensive so I feel you need to explain to the children before you go that you will not be indulging in the junk food pass-time, so they understand before they go.
All these places are air-conditioned and cool places to go. Actually some of them are too cool so suggest you take a warmer jacket or cardigan to put on in case you cool off too much.
1. Bowling: I love this and we always have fun. The kids usually have a ball, and a lot of bowling places have quite a bit of entertainment for the children. Lots of junk food of course but you can always avoid that by taking some sandwiches and juice. The kids probably screw their noses up at that but my words are: Be thankful that you are here and enjoy, if you moan about not being able to have chips or junk food, then we will go home and you can do chores. I call it tough love.
2. Swimming: Usually there is a public swimming pool in your area. If you have a membership at the fitness center or country club, they have indoor pools so make the most of them. Its great fun for the kids and you can do a few laps for exercise.
3. Visit a Museum: During the holidays the museums usually have entertainment for the children. I love our city museum it is so interesting and fun for the kids. If you have no kids then go and check your museum out as there is so much to see.
4. Roller skating: I am not very good at it but love it. Indoor roller-skating rinks are great place for lots of laughs and fun with the family.
5. Ice Skating: Very cool, and a great place to avoid the heat. Once again kids have so much fun, ice skating. Lots of fun and laughter for the whole family.
6. Go to the Gym: Well this is probably not so much for kids but it is great for your own social activities. If you go regularly you probably have a social circle that you chat with and enjoy the company of.
7. Indoor Tennis: Once again another fun place to go for the family. Most Country clubs have indoor tennis courts that will charge a small fee (hopefully small) to play on their courts. Most Country clubs are struggling financially these days and welcome the public for a fee.
8. Indoor Go Karting: I am not sure if every town has an indoor Go Karting track, but if it has it is a great place to go. Kids always have fun