I listened to an interview with Ben Stein the other day which was very informative. I think this book is a must. I haven’t read it yet but have it on order.
The Little Book of Bulletproof Investing: Do’s and Don’ts to Protect Your Financial Life
The Little Book of Investing Do’s and Don’ts offers quick, easy-to-follow, and entertaining advice for anyone looking to get back on the right investment track.
Do’s & Don’ts to Protect Your Financial Life
• DON’T assume that just because you are capable of managing your finances by yourself you will be better off in the long run if you do.
• DO trade as infrequently as possible.
• DON’T give any weight to market forecasts. All opinion pro and con is already built into the price of equities today.
• DO buy and hold; don’t buy and sell.
• DON’T assume that because you own a bunch of different-sounding mutual funds your investments are diversified.
• DO diversify globally with your stock and bond holdings.
• DON’T buy into a red-hot real estate market.
• DO park assets where they will suffer the least at the hands of the taxman.
• DON’T take Social Security as soon as you are eligible. It often pays to delay.
• DO postpone retirement as long as possible. The safest time to retire is never.
Ben Stein’s Tips for “Bulletproof” Investing – The Early Show – CBS News