I just finished reading an article on respect. Unfortunately there is such a lack of respect in our society today. The article was very good, but I don’t think it went quite far enough. So here are my thoughts on respect.
To me the word respect, in real terms, means to be considerate, to be fully aware of the other person’s existence and opinions. Have the attitude that says: “I may not agree with what other men may say, but I defend their RIGHT to say it.” Besides, sometimes we jump to conclusions too quickly. The other person’s opinion may be correct and by showing respect and listening we may encounter truth.
There are many other things in life that need respect, not just other people. This is how you show respect.
- Listen to what people have to say without butting in
- Dress with respect, not to offend
- Respect people’s property
- Respect the person; make a point to make them feel important to you
- Respect your elders. Especially your Mom and Dad. They may be your senior, but they are sensitive and deserve respect.
- For parents respect your child’s feeling. Show them all the love you can.
- Respect another culture whatever it may be.
- Respect all religions even if they are not of your beliefs.
- Respect your boss, because without him you wouldn’t have a job. He maybe an A-hole but he pays your wages and it’s up to you to go look for a new job or know that this job is temporary and you will be moving on.
- Respect the rude person, but don’t stoop to their level. Never argue with an idiot. He’ll drag you down to his level & beat you with experience. Know that you are better than that. So when someone you meet is rude, “Power to you,” be respectful and polite back to him or her, then move on.
- Respect your body. Listen to it when it tell you its not feeling well
- Respect your body when it is telling you that you have done enough physical exercise
- Respect your muscles if they are sore. Know you have worked them hard or hurt them and they need to be rested
- Respect your back. If it is uncomfortable. Know that you have injured or strained it somehow. My Yoga teacher says you are only as young as your back.
- Respect your feet. I love high heels, but if you are in pain wearing them. Wear them once and give them away. Your feet deserve better.
- Respect nature. Observe the beauty of what nature provides.
- Respect all animals. Respect that some of them do not like humans and want to eat them.
I could go on and on but what I am trying to say is that as long as we respect one another and do the best we can it is all that is required. A better life is ahead of us in many ways. It is good for our health and makes for a happy lifestyle.