An Australian Blue Heeler goes to sleep on top of the flock it has herded
Tag Archives: SLEEP
1. According to Annals of Internal Medicine 30% is the percentage decrease in response to insulin by fat cells in people who are sleep-deprived, suggesting sleep loss can cause weight gain.
3. According to Fred Hutchinson Cancer research centre there is a 17% reduction in inflammation markers seen in people with arthritis who took glucosamine.
4. According to a Kaiser Family Foundation study the average numbers of hours daily that kids between eight and 18 spend 7.5 hours looking at a screen of some kind.
5. The environmental Science and Technology says that there is a 60% reduction in harmful air pollutants on city streets where trees bushes and ivy were planted.
1. According to Zhou-Feng Chen, Ph.D., Director of the center for the study of itch at Washington University in St Louis, Scratching is sort of like a mini-orgasm. He says “it can activate your reward system”.
If scratching hurts your skin the pain can help quell the itch because the two sensations are competing.
Too much scratching can cause injury or infection and if that is the case and the itch is driving you crazy try firmly rubbing the area with a chilled cotton T-shirt instead
3. Upper and lower case letters are named ‘upper’ and ‘lower’ because
in the time when all original print had to be set in individual letters,
the upper case’ letters were stored in the case on top of the case that
stored the smaller, ‘lower case’ letters.
4. In the 1500’s Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw, piled high-with no wood underneath.
It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the dogs, cats and
other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it
became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof, thus
came the saying, “It’s raining cats and dogs.” ?
5. Cranberry Jello is only sold in November and December, and is the only jello flavor that comes from real fruit, not artificial flavoring.
6. In Shakespeare’s time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes…when
you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep
on. That’s where the phrase, “good night, sleep tight” came from.
My whole day is golden when I have a good nights sleep, I can tackle anything. Bad nights sleep, then you need to stay away from me as the scorpion comes out in me and you are likely to get the ‘sting of the tail’.
I don’t sleep the way I used to. I was always a good sleeper, if my eye lids closed then so did the rest of me, my brain, my body, heart and what ever slowed down. Sleep for me today is a lot more difficult, it is harder to shut the brain down as it wants to keep having a conversation with me in the night. I can be in a deep sleep then all of a sudden I will be awake thinking of some thing that is so not important at that hour of the night. Then of course the brain does not even want to let you go to sleep in the first place.
When I see articles on the art of getting a good sleep then that always attracts my attention.
This is an article on the Natural News.com, written by Sandeep Godiyal on the good and bad foods that affect sleep.
Foods to eat and not to eat
1) Almonds and walnuts. These nuts actually contain a lot of tryptophan, magnesium, and melatonin – a powerful trio that is known to be ideal for those who are looking for natural sleeping aids. Experts say that it is best to try to eat a handful about an hour or so before sleeping.
2) Grapefruit. This is one of the foods that people should steer clear of, as it contains acid. Nobody wants to be kept up all night because of heartburn. Grapefruits increase the acidity of the stomach, so it is expected that those who eat this before sleeping will have heartburn. If people do not want this to happen, it is best to stay away from grapefruit, as well as other citrus fruits or juices before going to bed.
3) Oatmeal. This food is mostly considered as breakfast fare, and many eat this only in the morning, but studies have shown that there are actually a lot of benefits from eating oatmeal before going to bed. Oatmeal has been found to be full of nutrients that help promote sleep, such as potassium, phosphorus, calcium, and magnesium.
4) Celery. Celery is listed as a healthy vegetable, but it is considered as one that should be avoided before going to bed. Why is that so? Celery is considered a natural diuretic, and if people do not want to wake up in the middle of the night just to urinate, it would be best to steer clear of this vegetable. Other natural diuretics that people should avoid include parsley and ginger.
5) Tart cherries and raspberries. It has been found that raspberries and tart cherries have melatonin, which is a popular sleep aid.
6) Fried and greasy food. People who have a high intake of fried, fatty, and greasy foods at night tend to have less productive sleep compared to those who do not. The stomach works twice as hard just to digest the oily foods, which could then make people experience heartburn or indigestion.
7) Bananas. Bananas contain a lot of magnesium and potassium. They also contain tryptophan, which is an amino acid found in turkey, another food source that is famous for helping people who wish to have better sleep.
8) Spicy foods. Spicy foods not only irritate your digestive system, but they can also have a huge impact on your sleep. Experts say that it is best to avoid eating spicy foods before sleeping.
I can add to this.
Dark chocolate – A small amount just before you retire can assist with sleep. It works for me.
Warm milk and a few drops of molasses – I used to feed my babies this concoction and it was great for a good nights sleep for them and me.
Green Tea – I do not have this in the evening because for some reason I find it hard to get to sleep after I drink it.
Milk Chocolate – This also keeps me awake. I assume there is too much sugar in it.
Clean Sheets – There is something about fresh clean sheets on the bed, I always seem to get a good nights sleep on that first night of those fresh cuddly sheets. I sprinkle a little lemon grass oil on the sheets when I make the bed.
Breathe – This I know works for me. If I am a little tense and not getting to sleep I take 4 very deep breaths and I find by the time I get to the 4th one I am on my way to sleep. Make it slow and as deep as you can.
Here are some more tips that I have come to my attention
Hope these suggestions help as I know there are chronic non sleepers in this world and I can only sympathize with you because I cannot think of anything worse than not getting some form of relaxing sleep even if it only for about 4 hours. I think it has been proved that sleeping pills are not the answer and can even be worse for you as they can make you drowsy and not particularly functional during your working hours.
Stress has a lot to answer for and as we all know stress is a cause of many problems with our health.
Find some way to relieve your stress – Breathe, yoga, read soothing words before sleep, no murder, police tv series, find a love story on tv, have a brandy.
Nothing Like A Pill To Rid One’s Ill’s
Author Lesley Voth
Do you know I have been sick in bed
Feeling lousy like someone is pounding in my head
Well that was ok I got over it in a week
Felt pretty good, fantastic so to speak
So good in fact I celebrated with a drink a cigar
Oh boy, felt so good, smooth so it was quite bazaar
That next morning I was coughing, it was not a pretty sight
Not much sleep, my chest felt like someone was sanding in there all night
Yep that flu what ever it was is back again
I guess only me, no one else to blame
Bit grumpy I am, certainly not nice to be around
Dave my husband, hiding, quite hard to be found
Now, I am a really healthy, no pills for me, sort
Well I have to tell you, my idealism right now has fallen a little short
So off to the doctors I went today
Told her I want it gone, straight away
She gave me some tablets, some killer pills
Hopefully it will quickly take care of my ills
It is a long time since I have had the flu
Makes you appreciate a healthy body that is true
So hopefully tomorrow I will be feeling good
Feeling all healthy and ready to go as I should
You can consume all those vitamins, a battle uphill
But there is nothing like the good old Anti Biotic Pill