A freak accident and helped by the power of the people. Quite amazing, and scary at the same time.
Tag Archives: people
Hey saw this great quote today and struck me as how true a word are these.
“People try to live within their income so they can afford to pay taxes to a government that can’t live within its income” — Robert Half
Robert Half, the founder and president of Robert Half International, an employment agency, died on Aug. 31 in Lantana, Fla. Mr. Half, a resident of Palm Beach, was 82
This subject I found quite interesting
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Take a stand for your health — literally.
Doctors are urging the millions of people who work at a desk all day to stand up or walk around the office.
As CBS 2′s Dr. Max Gomez reported, our couch-potato lifestyle is killing us at about the same rate as smoking.
And it’s not just sitting around at home; it’s also our sit-for-hours workdays that are part of an unhealthy sedentary lifestyle.
“Sitting is probably killing me,” said Linda Caufield, of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.
Caufiled is right. A number of studies have shown that prolonged sitting is linked to an increased risk of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, cancer and even early death.
“Smoking certainly is a major cardiovascular risk factor, and sitting can be equivalent in many cases,” said Dr. David Coven, a cardiologist at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center. “The fact of being sedentary causes factors to happen in the body that are very detrimental.”
A recent study shows levels of physical activity and lower levels of sitting time were positively associated with excellent health and quality of life.
The obvious solution is to exercise more, but busy lifestyles and a common aversion to exercise make it hard to compensate for hours of sitting at a desk.
The good news, said Dr. Dermont Phelan, of the Cleveland Clinic, is “that doesn’t mean that we have to go to the gym for 30 minutes in the day. Just a brisk walk, and we don’t have to do it continuously. Even doing 10 minutes three times a day will work.”
While not an equal substitute for exercise, some doctors recommend getting up once an hour from your desk, even if it’s just to walk around briefly or go to the bathroom. Some people have even started using combination treadmill desks at work — anything that contracts our muscles and gets blood flowing.
“It dampens down inflammation,” Phelan explained. “It dampens down the risk of depositing plaque in the coronary arteries.”
What will they think of next. Who ever thought of this one and also the video deserves success. I can think of several people in my family that could use this.
BUY NOW - http://amzn.to/18pbTjq
I love those who think out of the box.
The Rijksmuseum Holland had an idea: Let’s bring the art to the people
and then, hopefully, they will come to see more – at the museum.
They took one Rembrandt painting from 1642, The Night Watch, brought to
life the characters in it, placed them in a busy mall – and the rest you can see for yourself!
2. According to AARP 57% of American workers have less than $25,00 in retirement savings.
3. That Pope Emeriturs Benedict XV1 who is 86 years old will get a post pontiff pension of 40,000 dollars a year. Rather humble don’t you think when Former CEO of Hewlett-Packard Carly Fiorina aged 58 in her 21 million severance deal she will get $200,000 annual pension
4. People who became blind after birth can see images in their dreams. People who are born blind do not see any images, but have dreams equally vivid involving their other senses of sound, smell, touch and emotion.
5. The owl is the only bird to drop its upper eyelid to wink. All other birds raise their lower eyelids.
6. Fire hydrants are commonly color coded to indicate how much water a particular hydrant will provide. This allows for quick decision-making when they are deciding which hydrant to access.