1. The 1912 Olympics was the last time that gold medals were solid gold.
Since then, they’ve been silver with gold plating.
2. Automobile transmissions used whale oil up until 1973.
3. The 2nd president of the United States (John Adams) and 3rd president of the United States (Thomas Jefferson) both died within just a few hours apart of each other on the same exact day of July 4th 1826. They are the only two presidents to die on the same day of the same year.
4. Barbers at one time combined shaving and haircutting with bloodletting and pulling teeth. The white stripes on a field of red that spiral down a barber pole represent the bandages used in the bloodletting.
5. Coral (pro osteon) has molecular architecture and chemistry similar to human bone and so it can be used to replace bone grafts, helping bones heal faster. 150-200 pounds of it can sustain hundreds of graphs
Babies are born with 300 bones, but by adulthood we have only 206 in our bodies - The reason? Some bones fuse together later. Source
If you shake a can of mixed nuts the larger ones will rise to the top Source
An apple, onion, and potato all have the same taste. The differences in flavor are caused by their smell. To prove this you can pinch your nose and take a bite from each. They will all taste sweet. Source
A fetus acquires fingerprints at the age of three months. fetal fingerprints are fully formed by 12 weeks/3 months of gestation. Fingerprints are actually created by fetal movements – as the young fetus moves within the uterus, its skin shifts, forming the ridges of its fingerprints. This is the reason why no two people have the same fingerprints, even identical twins.
An ounce of gold can be stretched into a wire 50 miles long. The wire would be very fine. Since gold has such a soft flexible ability it is often mixed or coated over other material in order to give it strength. Source
A baby Blue Whale drinks approximately 130 gallons of milk each day. The calf
drinks so much milk that it puts on about 200 pounds of weight each day when it is growing – that’s about
eight pounds an hour! Source
1. In the entire state of Ohio in 1895, there were only two cars on the road, and the drivers of these two cars crashed into each other. Source
2. The current scientific estimate for the age of the earth is 4.6 billion years. The evidence is based on radiometric age dating of meteorite material Source
3. A One-once gold nugget is more rare than a five-carat diamond. Gold is so heavy that one cubic foot of it weighs half a ton. Source
4. Camels milk does not curdle. They do not perspire, and their long feet keep them far above the scorching ground. Source
5. The first country to abolish capital punishment was Austria in 1787. Source