1. A new study looked at whether America’s thirst for soda speeds up how the body’s cells age.
Researchers at the University of California, San Francisco used a sample of 5300 healthy adults. Dr. Elissa Epel worked on the study for 5 years.
“We think we can get away with drinking lots of soda as long as we are not gaining weight, but this suggests that there is an invisible pathway that leads to accelerated aging, regardless of weight,” said Dr. Epel.
Epel’s team discovered that in people who drank more sugar-sweetened beverages, the ends of their chromosomes, known as telomeres, were shorter.
The shorter the telomere, the less a cell can regenerate thus aging the body, and raising the risk of disease and early death.
“This finding is alarming because it suggest that soda may be aging us, in ways we are not even aware of,” said Dr. Epel.
Researchers found no link in cell aging, however, when drinking diet sodas and fruit juices.
Source – http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/10/18/ucsf-study-links-soda-to-premature-aging-disease-early-death/
2. Hey everyone should have one of these Loo’s
4. The top 10 driver distractions
b. Reading the newspaper (In the car? ok I believe them. Now thats got to be worse than texting)
c. Personal grooming. Putting on make-up, shaving. (yep seen it all)
d. Talking on mobile without hands free kit.
e. Changing the radio/ipod/MP3 player.
f. Using GPS or other navigational systems.
g. Eating while driving
h. children in the car
i. Billboards/outdoor advertising. (This I do find distracting)
j. Young Men with no shirts on while exercising, like running (Hmmm very indeed). Had to add that one.
5. Did you know there is an old wives tale that says if you put a cork in the bed it will help you reduce leg cramps. Apparently it works. Maybe its the bottle of wine you drink first.
This cute baby mop suit lets your child crawl and help out around the house at the same time.
Use a shoe caddy to hold snacks and activities during long car rides.
Help other people (and yourself) tell your twins apart with these tiny rompers.
Making sure your kids dress warmly can be quite the chore…But not when you have an awesome Knight’s Helmet that they’ll love.
Give them temporary tattoos in case they get lost during an outing.
Old lotion bottles can be used as faucet extenders until the little tykes aren’t so little anymore.
Never worry about losing them in public with these forget-met-not mittens
Cut a hole in a pacifier and stick a dropper in it to make taking medicine slightly less traumatizing.
Create a kid-sized hammock with some fabric and a table. This is a good one
If you’re super careful, a big cardboard box can be re-purposed into a stair slide.
My beautiful Grandson Jayden is 16 today
He is thoughtful, gracious, funny, and more I could say
That precious little boy has become a rising star
He can’t wait to get his license and drive the car
Now that is an experience all of its own
Teaching him to drive, my nerves are blown
For some reason we stay too close to the road side
Letter boxes whizz past my window, it’s a kinda jerky ride
Anyhow he is not too bad
When he goes and gets lessons I will be glad
He has become a great surfer, attacks any waves
He has become fearless, a pleasure to watch as I do many days
My heart fills with pride as I watch him grow
Into the person he has become, his future bright I know
Lord where did that time, those years go, they sped away
It’s hard to believe he is 16 years old today
Salt Water Powered Car Gets European Approval – Yes, It’s Real
Move Over Tesla, this New Car is Powered by Salt Water and Has Over 900 Horsepower
This car even looks beautiful.
A car called the Quant e-Sportlimousine that was presented at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show is the first electric car powered by salt water and is now certified for use on European public roads.
The e-Sportlimousine, built by the German company Quant, runs on an electrolyte flow cell power system made by NanoFlowcell that generates a staggering 920 horsepower, goes 0-62 mph in 2.8 seconds, and propels the car to a top speed of 217.5 mph!
For more information – http://themindunleashed.org/2014/09/move-tesla-new-car-powered-salt-water-900-horsepower.html
You are driving and about to hit something about to be hit.
I know about this one as I have hit a few Kangaroo’s in my time.
Jeff Payne a former professional race car driver and the CEO of the non-profit firm “Drivers edge” in Las Vegas.
The three biggest objects you are likely to hit on the road is another vehicle, debris, and wildlife.
Here is advised to either avoid the accident or minimize your damage.
a. ESP – Use it. Be ready for the unexpected especially when you sense the traffic is erratic. If the car in front slams on his brakes look to see if the right lane is clear and move over. At least maneuver your vehicle to minimize the impact.
Your brain should be predicting what the surrounding drivers will do. Especially if everyone is driving like mad men. If you are totally focused you will never be distracted. The same goes for motorcycles.
b. Embrace smooth and cool – The first instinct when something appears in front of us is to hit the brakes and swerve – No No No – not a good idea. sudden moves could cause you to overcorrect lose control and make the situation worse.
c Minimize the impact. – If you cannot avoid impact, alter it. If you are the only one in the car try to angle it so the front passenger side takes the hit. If you have someone else in the car angle it so you take the hit on your side.
d. Focus on the main event. – If you come upon an object in your lane do not fixate on it. Your eyes act as your guide, if something falls off the back of a truck and you stare at it, you will for sure hit it. Look for an escape route and that is where the car will go.
e. Hit the gas – The only time you will want to accelerate is when you are about to hit a large animal. If you slam your brakes on before, say hitting a deer the front end of your car will dip and this makes it more likely that the animal will fly up over your hood and come through the windshield. Speeding up before you hit will make the front end rise and confine it to the bumper.
Aim for the rear end. If an animal bolts it does not bolt backwards. You may miss it or at the most graze it. In that case not too much damage will be done.
You Meet A Large Animal Who Is Not looking very Friendly.
(In this case I think I would prefer to be in a sinking car)
a. “Do not run” – This is advice from Tony Nester the director of the Ancient Pathways survival school in Flagstaff, Arizona. What happens is if you run you most likely cause a chase response in an animal that had no plans to attack. Even if it is eyeballing you as a potential meal it prefers prey that is not going to put up a fight.
Spread your arms, shout, and make yourself look large (not to hard for me but I am sure I would be sweating big time) and threatening.
Slowly retreat and do not turn your back on the animal. If you are with a child he or she may look more appetizing so keep between the child and the bear.
b. If all else fails – The animal you are facing may be guarding its territory and not hungry. The plan is the same but be assured the animal will be more aggressive.
If this is not affective and it begins to attack use whatever you can such as a stick, fists, fight back and aim for the snout before he rips your arm off.
1. Research has shown that coconut oil or sesame oil swished around your mouth for 20 minutes a day reduce gum disease. Apparently it is an ancient Indian remedy used to ‘Pull’ bacteria from the mouth. I practice it, but only for a couple of minutes, 20 minutes may be a bit of a push for me. It is said to help whiten your teeth.
2. A lobsters blood is colorless but when exposed to oxygen it turns blue.’ Tomalley‘ is the lobster’s liver. It turns green when cooked and is considered a delicacy. ‘Coral‘ is the red colored material and is the egg mass of a female lobster. Cooking colors the tiny eggs a deep coral or red.
3. Lipsticks with shimmering effects were initially made using a pearlscent substance found in fish scales. Lip colouring started to gain some popularity in 16th century England. During the time of Queen Elizabeth I bright red lips and a stark white face became fashionable.
4. There is a new device to help prevent migraines. It is called Cefaly, it electrically zaps nerves in the forehead that are thought to be linked to the source of the debilitating headaches. They say at least 36 million Americans suffer from these headaches. Cefaly is positioned on the forehead using an adhesive electrode. Precise impulses are produced, which act on the trigeminal nerve in order to reduce pain and prevent migraine attacks.
5. Did you know that in warmer weather, tires lose air at a higher rate, reducing gas mileage and decreasing their life span. I also causes battery failure so make sure you top off the fluid and clean corrosion from the terminals and make sure the cables are tightly connected. When possible always park your car in the shade. These are good tips for those of us that lives in Texas.