1. In the entire state of Ohio in 1895, there were only two cars on the road, and the drivers of these two cars crashed into each other. Source
2. The current scientific estimate for the age of the earth is 4.6 billion years. The evidence is based on radiometric age dating of meteorite material Source
3. A One-once gold nugget is more rare than a five-carat diamond. Gold is so heavy that one cubic foot of it weighs half a ton. Source
4. Camels milk does not curdle. They do not perspire, and their long feet keep them far above the scorching ground. Source
5. The first country to abolish capital punishment was Austria in 1787. Source
That Lemon wood is carved into chess pieces. « Over a century ago Chess pieces, traditionally were made of boxwood. When carved and polished the product was rich and close-grained, a delight to the eye and sensuous to the hand. The Queen in Tenniel’s illustration of Lewis Carroll’s “Alice” is a Staunton piece.
Orange or lemon wood is substituted for boxwood and soon the truth of the old saying is proved once more: “Nobody has yet made anything that some one else cannot make cheaper and poorer.”
The first country to use postcards was Austria.« Source
Pearls dissolve in vinegar.« A pearl is mostly calcium carbonate, which is susceptible to even a weak acid solution. The crystals of calcium carbonate are converted by acetic acid (vinegar) into calcium, which dissolves in the residual water, and carbonate that effervesces as bubbles of carbon dioxide, the formula for which is CaCO3 + CH3COOH –> Ca + H2O + CO2.
A queen bee can lay 800 – 1500 eggs per day « Source
The first jukebox was located in San Francisco in 1899 « On November 23 1899 the world’s first jukebox went public at the Palais Royal Hotel in San Francisco.
In it’s first 6 month it earned about $1000.00. That’s a lot of nickels. Source